1. Friend Of The Devil (with other lyrics and John "Marmaduke" Dawson singing lead) [4:45]
2. Trumpet Solo - Robert Hunter? [0:50]
3. Dead Or Alive (Robert Hunter vocal, undocumented song) [1:09]
4. Train Song (Robert Hunter vocal, undocumented song) [2:24]
5. No Eggs Today (Robert Hunter vocal, undocumented song) [0:35]
6. Jam - "Feeling Groovy" and Uncle John's Band riffs [7:43]
7. Uncle John's Band Jam [8:56]
8. ...baby crying?... [2:03]
9. unidentified guitar [0:28] / end of tape.
Total time = 28.55
misc "Home recordings"; AUD> cheap mic> portable recorder; via Tzuriel to abgd
April 10, 2011 Subject:
This recording is epic!!
July 14, 2010 Subject:
Definitely not 12/31
Another data point - in this rehearsal they are still working out the verse meter and are playing it at straight 4/4. When they first performed this on 12/4/69 they had already started dropping the beat in the verse (substituting a measure of 3/4 after "Don't you worry any more" and again after "Danger at your door". This has to precede it by probably several weeks at least.
July 10, 2010 Subject:
sound Robert Hunter !!!
December 19, 2008 Subject:
mr. hunter confirms on deadnet central that it is indeed him on the trumpet solo. He said the tape was originally stolen at a party he had and was labeled "original friend of the devil."
Check out other years, 12-31 is the place holder date for unknowns and/or disputed.
July 12, 2006 Subject:
The date on this is incorrect
While these may be valid, home recordings they could not have occured on this date. I just downloaded a show that has the band on a holiday swing on the east coast. 12-31-69 they were in Boston, MA @ the Tea Party for New Year's & the end of a 3 show run.
June 8, 2006 Subject:
The UJB Jam here is worth many listens. You can just hear the joy of creation as the calypso-flavored rave-up builds and repeats. Sure, there's some distortion in the sound, but to say it's not enjoyable is a bigger distortion!
May 3, 2004 Subject:
cheap mic> portable recorder is right, but the acoustic material is still pretty interesting however the electric material is too distorted to enjoy